Thursday, May 12, 2011

Prayer updates 12May'11

This week has been a hot and humid week, but a new week for the history of Singapore. The opposition parties have made the voice of the people clearer during the election, and more members from the Worker's Party were elected into the Parliament at the expense of some capable ministers. At the same time, unpopular member was elected into power as well. This testifies to the strength of our democratic system as well as the weakness of the GRC system. I am optimistic about S'pore's future and I pray that the future of S'pore will be geared towards the needs and ethos of the people rather than policies benchmarked by GDP growth.

My feet have generally recovered from soreness and blisters during my six-day break from chemo. I have resumed my 3rd cycle two days ago, and I continue to ask for minimal side effect. Generally, my health has been stable in the last one week, thank God. I tried exerting myself by walking more rounds but found myself too physically tired after doing that for consecutive days. Now, I roughly know my walking limit.

On a delightful note, my Sunday school with the youths were well-received. Powerpoint slides and two-way interaction with 24 teenagers helped to enliven the 45-min lesson. I felt an immense sense of satisfaction. Praise God. I will be leading Bible study with my PRC brothers and sisters this Friday based on the Chinese translation of J.I.Packer's Knowing God. Do keep me in your prayer.

Another area of concern is my part-time teaching duty at Jubilee Sch of Missions. My students had systematic theology 1 last semester,  and I do not know what they had covered. The textbook I recommended is too deep for their level, and I still lack sufficient Chinese resources to work with. The academic dean is too busy at the moment to attend to me. I feel loss and the constraint due to limited resources in Chinese ministry. Prayer for guidance and resources to pour in is much appreciated.

Lastly, I discovered these biblical texts during my youth Sunday school and while preparing for my sermon:
- Phil 1:9-10  And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you to determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless,
- 1Co.1:8-9 He will also strengthen you to the end, so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful; by him you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
    My insight: Paul prays for the Philippians to remain blameless until Christ's return. In his letter to the Corinthians, Paul is confident that the Corinthians will be blameless and since God is faithful, God will give them the means to remain blameless. I believe the church is instituted with every means to ensure we may be blameless till the day we meet God face to face.

No comments: